April! What awesome siblings you have to allow your friends to take part in the annual celebration of your life! Here’s wishing you a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY! from Juanita McMullan in Germantown, MD.
Actually, I want to know April’s secret – for though her kids are growing up and the years are rolling by, she continues to look the same as when she lived here over 12+ (?) years ago. And, I’m pretty confident the photos have not been photoshopped! When I see you thus surrounded by your children, I think how they will call themselves blessed for having had you as their Mother. And what a great Mom you are! Sometimes when we’d get together with other Moms at the park for the adult conversation I craved when my kids were small, I would always notice how available April was when her kids needed anything – even if it meant taking her away from the “adult” conversation. You were an example to me of placing your children and family at the top of your priorities.
By the time I worked with April in the church auxiliary of Relief Society, I believe April had already served in four consecutive Relief Society presidencies. The bishopric must have thought of her as a permanent fixture, for it wasn’t until several months into her fifth presidency that I learned she’d never been actually asked if she was willing to stay as the Relief Society Secretary. Thankfully, she was! Coming from the Primary I relied heavily on her to learn all the sisters as she took the weekly roll. I suspect she was hardest on herself during that time, for she knew what she had done in each of those presidencies and with a new baby had had to make adjustments. I always felt supported as she fulfilled her calling without fanfare and provided much needed continuity and awareness of the sisters in our ward. April was able to use that knowledge in another way when she had the chance to try on the role of Homemaking Counselor (though that is not the current title for the position), by planning monthly meetings for the sisters in our ward. It was fun to see her ideas put into action as she worked to provide meetings that would help our group of sisters learn, grow and serve.
I learned much from April in watching her open, friendly manner as she spoke with the various sisters. She seemed to know everyone and they knew and respected her – and for good reason. April, you are, indeed, an “elect lady” and I am grateful for having had the chance to get to know you through our service in the Relief Society! I suspect as you have moved from place to place and adjusted to your husband’s sometimes hectic schedule, you have been for your family what you were to our presidency – an anchor - in providing consistency and reliable service and love, aware of the needs of each of your family members. A very happy birthday to you! May you have many more…. and, though it’ll make me jealous, may you continue to be so young!
Love, Juanita
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment