The first time I saw April was in the foyer at the church in Kaiserslautern, Germany, in 2005 after our ward boundaries had been realigned, and the Andreason family ended up being switched to our ward. My first impression, as I think most people have, was, "She's sure beautiful." And as most people do, as I got to know her I realized she was even more beautiful on the inside.
I was fortunate to be the Primary chorister while she was in the presidency, so was able to see her in action every Sunday. I especially remember the personal experiences she'd tell the children to help teach gospel principles. She called me one week so we could work together to teach the hymn "Dearest Children, God is Near You". April told a story to go with each line, then we would sing it. I can still remember how strong the spirit was as she spoke and we sang that beautiful hymn.
Another great memory is of the two Primary Worker Christmas parties held at the Andreason home, and the fun white elephant gift exchanges we had. Most of you know how April loves to read, and she was the leader of our ward Relief Society book group. I enjoyed discussing books with her. After April moved away the book group floundered and then faded away.
I remember April sharing in her Sacrament Meeting talk before they moved from Germany that their family had been to church in 20 countries, or some similar amazing number. I was impressed that her family had made the effort to attend church while they were vacationing in foreign countries when it would have been so easy to skip it. I also thought it was neat that during their family scripture study each morning she would have her children--who were in middle and elementary school at the time--do scripture chases.
The attached photo was taken on the train when a group of ladies from the ward got together in March 2007 and flew to London for a really fun "ladies only" trip.
The second photo was taken at my house in 2007 when I invited some sisters over for an afternoon tea. I wish I was in a picture with April, but I was always the one taking the pictures.
April, thanks to your brother and sister I think you'll have a very memorable 40th birthday!! I feel blessed to know you.
Much love, Elaine Carson
No comments:
Post a Comment