On the tail of Spencer's comments, I remember something he said of you years ago. "I'm sure April is going to be sainted very soon." If all these messages don't solidify that statement, I don't know what does.
I have always known you were one of my biggest fans. But, I had no idea how many people were your fans. It has been fun to read from so many people their high regard of you. I still contend that I am your biggest fan. What else do you expect from the adoring little sister who has been so adored for so long?
How can I help loving you? I remember in middle school going to a birthday party at the roller skating rink and remember being keenly aware of fashion for the first time. Everyone there was wearing a Vision hip pack, it seemed, except me. I came home crying. I remember you writing me a letter telling me how wonderful I was with or without the latest fashion, and for me to be my own kind of beautiful.
How can I help from loving you? I was so welcomed in Illinois when little Aedan was born, and I got to play with the Miranda, Caleb, and Josh all I wanted. I made disgusting healthy food, and you were just glad when all your kids ate brown rice for dinner.
How can I help from loving you? I remember the kids playing with Legos in my tiny house in Pacific Beach. All you had to say was, "Why can't all my babysitters be as cool as you are?" That was enough to melt my heart.
How can I help from loving you? When I have called you countless times about countless parenting questions, all of which were specifically addressed. You never laughed at such a silly question, or discounted their importance in my mind. You thoughtfully remembered the same incident in your own mothering, gave me the experience and thoughts that helped you, and validated me as a mother.
How can I help from loving you? When you so willingly opened your German home to our family of three to wander around the European countryside. Twice. I loved spending holidays with you interacting with your kids and, most of all, just hanging out with you at your house, after the site seeing was done.
There are countless other examples of feeling your love emanate to me. But, it is so clear to me why I love you so much. It is because you show me you love me so much. Thank you for being the best older sister I can possibly imagine. I love you so much, and I am so glad that we are celebrating your 40th birthday!
Afton
No comments:
Post a Comment